Print Page | Report Abuse | Sign In | Register
Criminal Practice/ 8.0 hours, including 1.0 ethics / WBA member $265
Tell a Friend About This EventTell a Friend

When: 05/18/2018
8:00 a.m. - 4:20 p.m.
Where: Wichita Bar Association
225 N. Market
Wichita, Kansas  67202
United States
Contact: Megan Bleier
316-263-2251 ext. 101

Online registration is closed.
« Go to Upcoming Event List  

                                                                            Smooth Criminal
                                                                                Criminal Practice 2018                                              Sponsored by
                                                                                      Friday, May 18, 2018                                                             
                                                                                      8:00 a.m. — 4:20 p.m.

                                                               8.0 Hours CLE credit, including 1.0 hour of ethics*
                                                  *This seminar is fully accredited by the Kansas CLE Commission

Welcome and Introductions
8:00 a.m. – 8:10 a.m., Trevor D. Riddle, Wichita, KS, Moderator

Legislative Updates on DUI
8:10 a.m. – 9:25 a.m. (75 Minutes), presented by Aaron Breitenbach and Hon. Phillip B. Journey
The last 2-3 years have seen a tremendous amount of change in DUI case law, including a number of Kansas statutes being found unconstitutional in whole or in part (K.S.A. 8-1025, 8-1012, 8-1001, etc.). This session will discuss the status of pending DUI-related legislation and the case law or circumstances which led to this legislation.

Break 9:25 a.m.—9:45 a.m.

Collateral Consequences of a DUI Conviction
9:45 a.m.—11:00 a.m. (75 Minutes), presented by John D. Shultz and John Stang
Drivers' license suspensions resulting from DUI's make up only 10% of the overall suspensions, so what are the reasons for the other 90% of drivers' license suspensions? Mr. Shultz will discuss the reasons for the suspensions. Mr. Stang will discuss the consequences of a DUI conviction.

Break 11:00 a.m. — 11:10 a.m.

Smart Start: The Nuts & Bolts of Ignition Interlock
11:10 a.m. – 12:00 p.m. (50 Minutes), presented by Laine C. Barnard and Susan E. Harrod
In this session Ms. Barnard and Ms. Harrod will discuss the who, what, why, where and how when it comes to ignition interlocking devices.

Lunch 12:00 p.m. — 12:30 p.m. (Served at the WBA)

Managing the Risk of a Data Breach
12:30 p.m. – 1:20 p.m. (50 Minutes, ethics), presented by Danielle M. Hall
During this session, we will discuss your ethical obligations relating to data breaches. You will learn how to manage the risk of a data breach, how to train staff on what to look for and avoid, and the best practices for storing your information in the cloud.

It’s Not Dead Yet: Breathing Life into the Fourth Amendment in a High-Tech, Pretext-Laden, Gun-Happy World
1:25 p.m. – 2:15 p.m. (50 Minutes), presented by Paige A. Nichols
In this Fourth Amendment case law update, we will discuss what's new and what's brewing when the exclusionary rule meets technology, race, and guns.

Break 2:15 p.m. — 2:30 p.m.

Shining a Spotlight on Injustice: What We Can All Learn from the Lamonte McIntyre’s Case
2:30 p.m. – 3:20 p.m. (50 Minutes), presented by Cheryl Pilate
Lamonte McIntyre’s wrongful conviction was not an accident. In this section Ms. Pilate will discuss the wrongful conviction of Lamonte McIntyre.

Break 3:20 p.m. — 3:30 p.m.

Panel Discussion: Working with Difficult Clients and Witnesses
3:30 p.m. – 4:20 p.m. (50 Minutes), presented by
J. Matthew Leavitt, Steven D. Mank, Richard Ney and Kari S. Schmidt
This session will consist of a panel discussion and a question/answer section.  

Contact Us

T 316.263.2251
F 316.263.0629

Find Us

Wichita Bar Association
225 N. Market, Suite 200
Wichita, KS 67202